7/7 using Turnitin
Today we were introduced to a new web app called Turnitin. Turnitin is a plagiarism checker app, and it's used in almost every western university. Turnitin allows students to check which part of their paper was plagiarised. The app checks through every article and essay on the Internet and checks if more than three words in a row were the same. The teachers can give feedback using text or voice mail. I had some issues creating an account, and I couldn't use my main Gmail address. Therefore I had to use a different one. My essays' similarity rate was 11%. Some parts were totally fine, for example, I wrote "written by J.R.R Tolkien" but this is a common phrase so I don't have to change this part. Also, the references part got caught in the plagiarism checker but that is OK too. However, there were some parts which I didn't even know I was plagiarising. I don't want people to misunderstand that I plagiarised other people's papers so I will change those parts. I was surprised that some people's essays had 0% similarity, which means that person didn't plagiarise at all, even accidentally. I think to write an essay without using any common phrases or not overlapping any three words in a row is really difficult but I will try to keep the similarity rate low.
Comments
Post a Comment