12/28 The Island of Dr.Moreau chapter 1~9
The book I chose to read is "The Island of Dr Moreau". I chose this book because my mother recommended me this book. The Island of Dr Moreau is a science fiction book that was written in 1896 by H. G. Wells. I heard that he wrote many incredible science fiction stories. However this time, we are going to read a book for pleasure, so I stopped researching the author. The book consists of short chapters, so I decided to divide them into three groups and write a blog about it.
The story starts with a ship getting wrecked. The protagonist Edward Prendick, a naturalist was on the ship, and he gets rescued by another ship. Prendick receives help from a man called Montgomery who said that he lived on an island which was the ship's destination. On the ship, there were many dogs and other animals and beasts. There were deformed people on the ship too. Prendick, Montgomery and the beasts got off the ship at the island. Prendick wanted to go back to his own country, not on a strange island, but the captain of the ship didn't want to send Prendick to his country, so Montgomery provided shelter and meals for Prendick. On the island, Prendick sees many odd-looking deformed people who were furry and had unbalanced proportions. One had ears under the fur. Prendick discovers that the island was Moreau's. Moreau is a cruel scientist that vivisected animals. He was vivisecting a puma, and the painful screaming of the irritated Prendick. He escaped from the shelter and run into a jungle. In a stream in the jungle, Prendick sees a man who was down on four legs and sucking water from the stream. His legs were so short that it only had half the length of his body. Prendick leaves the place and then found three hog-like people dancing. When he started walking to get back to his shelter, he notices that someone was following him. Prendick gets frightened so he put a rock inside his handkerchief and made a weapon. Perndick runs to escape from the stalker, but the stalker was running on four legs and it was fast. Prendick knew that he was going to get captured before he reaches the shelter, so he swings the rock and hit the stalker. The stalker became unconscious and collapses. Leaving the stalker, Prendick rushed back to his shelter.
I thought that the story progressed very slowly at the beginning. The story didn't start with an interesting plot and no exciting event occured until chapter 9. However, I thought how the author describes the weird characters were good because I was able to imagine what kind of appearances they have. The difficult vocabulary troubled me, and I couldn't understand about 20% of the words at first, but as the story progressed, I began to understand and imagine the situation.
Comments
Post a Comment