6/2 traditional media and alternative media

     Today we did research on the Israel-Palestine conflict using different types of media. Half of the class did research using traditional media such as New York Times, Daily Telegraph and Haaretz(Israeli newspaper) and the other half of the class did research using alternative media. I did research on the traditional media, and I got the impression that most media were supporting Israel. This might be because there were paywalls and I couldn't read the whole article, or because I lack the ability to recognize biases. I did research using Haaretz, and at first, I thought this media was an anti-war newspaper because there was an article titled "For Jewish-Muslim Dialogue Groups in America, Gaza War Shatters Dream of Coexistence". However, in this article titled "Opinion | Arundhati Roy Is Really Wrong About Hamas", Haaretz criticises Hamas very strongly. Also in there was an article titled "Opinion | The Left Feels Palestinian Pain. It Must Also Recognize Jewish Fears" (I think pain is worse than fear though).

    The people who did research on alternative media told us that the US was giving Israel billions of dollars annually, and also told us that Israelis kill Palestinians who have a mental illness. It is difficult to correctly grasp the whole picture of the Israel-Palestine conflict because both media are definitely biased. Looking at the newspapers of both sides makes me confused more and more because I'm not sure how much I'm being influenced by the biases. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5/5 the Hobbit chapter 14

5/6 The Hobbit chapter 19

5/6 The Hobbit chapter 18