9/30

     Today we did a demonstration of the famous prisoners' dilemma. We got in groups of four and decided if we would cooperate with each other when we were assigned an evil essay (rules below). I decided that I'll not cooperate because not depending on the trustworthiness of the other members, under the rules given, I would gain more points if I didn't cooperate. I made a spreadsheet to calculate the expected points. Then Mr. Paterson asked us what we would do if the bonus was to become the other three people's boss. This time I again chose not to cooperate, because the reward/loss was too big. However, I've only considered the points (grades/money) when deciding whether I would cooperate or not, and I didn't consider having good relationship with my classmates. When deciding things, we must consider the problem from many perspectives. 

Should I Cooperate?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UX6dsvBSBpQ2VwmHwWliUu3PUArUkzjlHqn6DTsPzMA/edit#gid=0

Rules:

- groups of four people

-when everybody cooperates: everyone +1

-when three people cooperate and one person don't: three people -1, one person +5

-when two groups of two people cooperate: everyone +0

-when nobody cooperates: everybody -1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5/5 the Hobbit chapter 14

5/6 The Hobbit chapter 19

5/6 The Hobbit chapter 18