1/25
Today we learned about how the British government manipulated the British media to hinder Scottish independence. The British government cares about Scottish independence because England's economy really depends on Scotland's plenty of resources. Scotland takes up about 35% of the land area in the UK but has 60-70% of sea area. In its territory, most natural resources such as oil, gas, fish, sightseeing spots, clean water etc. are produced in Scotland, and if Scotland becomes independent, England wouldn't be able to get these resources for free. Since the government was in England, the British government used BBC to manipulate the image of Scotland to make Scottish people think that Scotland wouldn't survive if they become independent. The scheme was a success and Scotland didn't become independent in the past referendum.
I was surprised that Scotland had such a significant amount of natural resources and played an important role in the British economy. However, if the media deliberately make Scotland look smaller than the actual scale, most people would get angry. I don't understand why BBC had to use a tilted map to show the weather report, and I also don't understand why people didn't think BBC's way of reporting was unnatural and strange. Also, I thought that it's outrageous that the government and the big tech companies are trying to control the media and shut down Indy media sites. It feels like our freedom of speech is only permitted if the content wasn't an anti-establishment type of article.
Comments
Post a Comment